Saturday, September 20, 2008

Banana coffee brings smiles

So the plan was to drive around and get lost - didn't happen. There are a couple reasons for this deterioration in my grand plan (1) Typhoon and icky weather: The clock says it's day time, the sky says it's rain time. (2) Self-sabotage: I'm really scared to do this, so I used the typhoon as a convenient excuse to not go get lost all by myself.

I tried to find some company, but Lauren lives about three hours away on the other side of Ibaraki, and Ai usually works during the day. So I used the day to Skype with people from home, write a couple of letters, read and read and read! :)

On Saturday night I went out with Ai and she took me to the cutest coffee shop called Ocha Nova. This is a place that my predecessor, Rick, had told me about, but I had never been there before. It is tucked away on a side street and you wouldn't be able to just bump into it - this is a place you go on purpose. I ordered a banana flavored cafe latte. Now before you balk at banana flavored coffee, let me just explain that it is rare that I will turn down trying a new food or drink, no matter how "unique" it is; and I love bananas.

The atmosphere of this place is dimly lit, and artistic. They have books and magazines to read and mismatched chairs and tables, big, white, heavy, glass mugs that just bubble over with warmth and comforting smells and flavors. The finishing touch is the hint of sultry jazz music playing throughout the whole place just enveloping everything in a musical blanket. I want to make this little treasure my new hideaway. And one of the dearest little quirks is that they create little pictures in the foam on the top of the coffees you order. I have posted some pictures, so you can see what I am talking about. Artsy little touches just make my life happy. For all you pending visitors, expect a visit to Ocha Nova and my crazy smile from ear to ear ;).

After our little coffee and meeting some new friends, we headed to another cafe called Magokoro. This cafe has actually been closed, but every third Saturday of the month they have some DJ-ing and live music. It's an intimate little place with a 1000 yen ($10) cover charge that includes one drink. The music is fun and covers the spectrum of genres and languages - definitely a very hip little place that caters to the hippie, happy side I possess. Sorry Dad, it's true, when it comes to dark little cafes with music, I have a bit of hippie in me. :)

I made some new friends as well. Ai has a lot of foreign friends that do a program called InterAct. It is another English teaching job, but InterAct is a private company as opposed to JET that is government facilitated and run. They all live in and around Koga, so hopefully that means more outings on the weekends to keep me busy. It was such a friendly environment in which to be. P.S. I also had some really great quiche with salmon and mushrooms! And P.P.S. My new drink of choice is a G&T - I guess that's an hereditary thing, Mom really likes them too!

Life is going swimmingly and there are a lot of thoughts rushing about in my head. Right now I shall remain vague, but I'll have to talk about it soon.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

I always preferred those kind of places as opposed to loud clubs. My ears always feel like they're going to explode and there is about 1 square foot of dancing space per person. I will never understand it.

Unknown said...

Yay! for hideaways and fun places with good music and new friends who share the same interests and the possibility of new weekend trips!
ps - self-sabotage is something I'm working on myself. it's hard but I believe its worth it. so I keep trying and I encourage you to do the same! the crazy car trip sounds like it would be serious fun :-)
HUGS!

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to hear you perform some jazz in a place like that. Maybe one day my fantasy will come true.
Mom

Anonymous said...

There is plenty of "Hippie" in me Annelyse, so I'm sure you get it naturally. It's part of your sense of adventure. Like me, you've never been a "top twenty pop" kind of person. We seek the different and unique.