Sunday, September 28, 2008

Excuse me, waiter!

Often, when dining out, I have had the trouble of the waiter or waitress being ever elusive. I think many of you can commiserate. And if they are not mysteriously disappearing, they are smothering and on top of you every other minute. Well, the always inventive, often efficient, Japanese have found a bit of a solution to help facilitate the relationship between customer and server.

This solution is nothing more than a call button at each table. In order to call attention to your server, you just press the little button and someone comes running over to take a drink order or food order, etc. If you never press the button, they will never come over. Each restaurant is very creative with the design of their respective buttons. I have seen brightly colored ones, muted ones that blend in with the table, buttons in the shape of animals, etc. It's a fun observation of mine, and I just wanted to share!

3 comments:

Mikey said...

McDo's needs this. I would really like to call someone over when I need a refill on my Coke.

Unknown said...

I have been reading the book Waiter Rant and it fits kinda nicely with your post...it's kinda funny how we're usually on the same page...

emmy. said...

i so wish we had those here.

as a server, i always feel like if i'm being attentive to my table, it's too attentive. i want them to know that i'm ready if they need anything, but i hate thinking that they may feel i'm hangin' over them every couple of seconds.

i always love when people "tell" me they need me at their table. my favorite patrons are the ones that close they're menus when they're ready to order, stack their plates on the end of the table to let me know i can clear them (especially without having to reach over them or interrupt to ask if they're done). unfortunately, more often than not, people don't even know they can call me over and wait for me to land right in front of their table.. even if i'm just hanging around my section.

it'd be nice if i never had to check on them, though, and they could just ring me up when they need me. genius. i think i could get a lot more done like that..