Saturday, September 6, 2008

I need you to know I care

There is an older gentleman on the train with what appears to be his daughter and his wife. He is in a wheelchair and only has the use of one hand. He is wearing a beige jacket with snaps at the cuff. He wants to change the snaps to make the cuffs tighter, but he is having trouble making the snaps work by himself. He is nudging his daughter for help, but she shrugs him away, refuses to help. The man waits a moment and attempts the snaps again by himself. Again he nudges for help. I want to run over and help him. I want to show him attention and kindness. I wish I could speak to him and know his story. He struggles and after continued trying, succeeds in properly snapping his jacket cuffs. I wonder if he notices me as I notice him. Can he see my tears the way I see his struggle?

I will strive for my entire life to show compassion for those seeking help. To seek help is incredibly noble, and that nobility deserves respect. Every person has a story that is worth knowing. The struggles of one person are not permanent, they are not the only means by which this person has lived their whole life. Strife is often a component of great personal risk, ultimately seeking great personal, professional, family, or community reward.

Human feelings and compassion are complex thoughts with undefinable parameters. I do not need to defend my sincere desire to show people love and attention. People walking into my life deserve my attention sincerely. I seek only to learn and complete their lives with a small piece of my own. I am the lucky one to know the people I do, they make me a better person.

Life should be treated as a great privilege. To neglect the presence of others and their significance in our lives (and our significance in theirs) is nearly criminal.

My thoughts are complicated and difficult to put on paper. But if I never seek to understand them, then I do not deserve the happiness I gain from having strangers enter my life and become my dear friends.

Please excuse my vague philosophical rambling.

3 comments:

Mikey said...

I enjoy your vague philosophical rambling, as it shows a side of you not seen very often. Don't be afraid to take risks on this blog; you should be able to talk about anything you want without apologizing. I know I come here for some real, honest, non-sugar-coated Annelyse, and I'm glad you're not afraid to show it.

Unknown said...

I completely understand and I would have also wanted to go over and help him with his sleeves. But I wouldn't have, knowing that I would be the wrong person he wanted to have help from. Sometimes it's really hard not too though, which is why as I have gotten older I understand why my mother puts herself out there to help confused looking people in Staples, the grocery store, the UPS store, etc.
I always feel very torn in those situations.

Unknown said...

Part of participating in life is observation. This is where we learn about the world around us as well as ourselves. If we observe something that touches us, doesn't it also change us even if for only a moment? If we are moved to action through an observation, we are offering a change for someone besides ourselves, but they may not be ready to accept that change. I believe the very young have a harder time "seeing" those around them who are not already part of their personal sphere, but when they do a smile usually ensues as a result of a joining together in life even if for a brief moment. But remember the observations we make in life impact us whether or not we mingle with those we are observing. I think you have always had a big heart and believe those around you are fortunate to have you love them. Mom