Thursday, September 11, 2008

Americana by Don DeLillo

I have just finished this book and I found it to be very enjoyable. It had a really great method of diving into the mind of the main character. From the first page to the last page, you never know what's going to happen next, however everything flows very well. Essentially the author attempts to highlight the stereotypes and hypocrisy in American culture through the perspective of a successful television network executive.

After I started reading I found some of the topics discussed to be surprisingly poignant to modern day social and political news. I checked out the copyright date and it is 1971; just goes to show the same concerns are ever present in society. DeLillo discusses Global Warming, China as a pending economic super power, and the fear that those supposed to be in charge are nearly incompetent.

I think the author really touched on some interesting social issues, but also had a talent for exploring issues of the human psyche and coping behaviors. I would suggest this book for anyone wanting a really heady somewhat philosophical read. A good piece if you want to think and reflect.

1 comment:

Mikey said...

Sounds like an enjoyable read. I like the one-two punch of social commentary and delving into the human mind.