Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Welcome to my job

On Monday and Tuesday Michael and I went to school. I had three classes to teach each day and it was so much fun for the kids to meet him! Of course he was nervous as anything, but he performed well and the kids loved him.

On Monday we were at Sanwa and did two lessons of the Shiri-Tori game. It is a Japanese title, but we have this game at home too. Basically the kids get a starting words and have to use the last letter from that word as the first letter of the following word. The object is for the team to write a list of as many words as they can. Of course they have to spell the words correctly, but the kids really enjoy this game. Before any games could begin of course, Michael introduced himself to the class and told them about his hobbies and his favorite food (spaghetti). For our third class at Sanwa, we did a psychology test and these kids had a ton of questions for Michael. They wanted to know who his favorite Dragonball character was and if he intended to see the movie. He was even challenged to a game of basketball, which sadly wasn't able to happen because of school schedulings and whatnot. The kids in this class really worked hard and used the English they knew and helped each other to form good questions for him. I was really proud! After class, they even ran out into the hallway to talk to him some more. It was a really nice day.

On Tuesday we went to Koga First. We had three classes again and the kids here were really great as well. The first two classes, we had some warm-ups with jumbled words. I was impressed that the kids could understand enough that they aced these word scrambles - Michael and I had a hard time. The kids were a little shy, but they really like Michael too. After the warm-up, we played a board game that I made. There were groups of 4 students and each group had a game board. They had to move around the board and ask each other questions and then write down in complete sentences the answers to the questions. It is a bit of speaking and writing practice. I even put some questions on the game board so they would have to ask Michael and I some questions. It was so much fun running around the room and some of the groups would even come up with follow-up questions if they wanted more details! They were really great classes. Our third class we played Jeopardy with some random trivia. This class though had a ton of questions for Michael - they even asked him why he loved me. That was flattering, if not a little embarrassing, but the kids just giggled. At the end of class - as per special request, we played the Shiri-Tori game! These kids were pulling out all kinds of words and the competition was intense. I love that when you strike the right nerve, the kids can be really fantastic! The right nerve must be visitors!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The right nerve is the excitement of surprise!! It is also a wonderful thing to see two people in love with the chemistry and fun you and Michael exude. I wish I had video of your classroom adventure. Thank you for the visual of your days. I love you!!!

Mikey said...

My favorite food is adobo, but that would take explaining on my part, and since I am really shy, that would be just too much talking. The classes were really fun, though, and I wish we could play those games all the time in American school!