Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Do we get to keep our memories?

When we go, do you think God lets us keep our memories?

This is not an original pondering of mine, but of my late Uncle Thorn. However I think the idea is well worth thinking about - he was a smart man. Just before I moved to Japan, my uncle was diagnosed with cancer. Since that time he began writing his own blog with thoughts about life and updates on his condition. For the first time, I was able to learn a bit about him, and I must say he was a wonderful writer. I was so deeply impressed and inspired by his strength of heart and of character in such a grim and painful situation. I appreciate very much that he kept a blog and allowed the rest of us to see his private thoughts - I believe everyone who read what he had to say surely came away inspired and a little more optimistic.

Being as far away from home as I am only sinks in at certain times - when there are big family events. Right now my family has each other to console and comfort and celebrate the wonderful life that my uncle lived. But I am alone, half a world away with email updates as my only connection to the love and emotion and healing they are experiencing.

And yes Uncle Thorn, I do sincerely believe that God lets us keep our memories. God allows our withering bodies to keep all the love and incredible life each of us experiences. Our common memories with those we love allow us to communicate through prayer and in the silence of our minds, when meeting up in this life is no longer possible.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you that our life experiences stay as part of our soul as we leave this life. I also am sorry that you are alone during a time when comfort would be good.

I do love your pictures from your visit with Mike. The red coat is GREAT!

Mikey said...

God wouldn't be a loving God if we were stripped of all the great things we have had in our lives upon our death. Just as He is our personal God, we are just as personal to Him, and so I believe that everything we experience and feel will always exist in some spiritual form. Thanks, Uncle Thorn for letting us into your mind and taking us with you on your journey.