Sunday, March 1, 2009

A little bit of Pomp and a whole lot of Circumstance

Today was graduation at Sanwa Senior High School. I watched the rehearsal for Koga third's graduation, but this morning I sat through the whole thing and I must say the differences are astounding. First, the whole ceremony only lasted an hour and 20 minutes. Now, I know that probably sounds pretty great, but I think that graduations in America are much more special. For starters, there were not even as many parents present as children graduating. That to me is such a sad situation. Here in Japan, parents are not nearly as involved as they are back home. (A) Here graduation is held in the morning of a weekday. (B) All students have to be in attendance, so the first years and the second years are seated in the auditorium the whole time, falling asleep. (C) There is very little music and NO clapping. I will say that there was more standin' and sittin' than a Catholic Mass! Of course a lot of bowing too.

The students are all dressed in their uniforms, same as any other day. The third years' only distinguishing feature is a small, fake flower attached to their lapel. There is almost nothing to make the third year students stand out or feel special. Each students' name is called by their homeroom teacher, but then only one student is designated to go up on stage and receive every ones diplomas from the Principal. One student from the whole third grade class spoke and it was short congratulatory speech with an incredibly formal tone. There was no celebrating and no excitement. Seeing this ceremony made me very thankful for my high school graduation and the fact that my whole family was there; special visitors from Texas included!!! And that at our graduations there is clapping and singing and music played. The students stand out and the night is separate and special. There is a level of formality, but in the end there is excitement and emotion that is so tangible. Luckily, these kids don't know what they're missing.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

And now I know what I'm missing, because that sounds like my ideal graduation. I'm never much for celebrating my achievements, much to my mother's chagrin; she always wants big celebrations for her boys. One day, mom! One day.

Unknown said...

I am sure Mike will have that BIG celebration one day and I just hope his mom enjoys it as much as I plan to.

Oh yeah high school graduations in America are made to be a milestone because for some that is the last step before the threshold of adulthood.