Sunday, March 8, 2009

Love as a Foreign Language - Vol. 1 by J. Torres and Eric Kim

My first ever comic book. I found it to be really entertaining for the ten minutes it took me to read this first volume. My dear friend DC sent this to me because it reminded him of me and boy did he ever hit the nail on the head! I am excited to read more in this series when I get back home and can pick some up.

Essentially this comic is set in Korea with a guy from Canada who lives there to teach English. This first installment is about his struggles with life in Korea, even after ten months and how much he cannot stand being there any more. Everyone around him seems to be in a perpetual "honeymoon" phase and he cannot get out of this grand master funk. Please laugh at that. Please.

His students are complacent, he is a crappy teacher to boot and he doesn't the like Korean food. I find this such an interesting read because the impression they give of the Korean people is my impression of the Japanese. However, I don't have so much disdain for my life here that this character does. I enjoy my life here a huge amount, so even though I am not recontacting, I am not rushing to break my contract and go home early either. I want to read more of, "Love as a Foreign Language."

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Neat-o. It's fun to think of your life as a comic. A superhero comic at that! By day, Annelyse is a mild-mannered teacher in Japan, but by night, she is Super-Singing-Sightseeing Funnelyse!!! She travels from place to place, seeing all that Japan has to offer, including festivals, attractions, and karaoke! However, she will not sing any Grand Master Funk. That is totally a comic I would read!

Unknown said...

I think teaching in a foreign country is a fun concept, but a tough job. I also think many asian countries have similar "issues" for Americans. I am glad to hear that you still appreciate the Japanese people, their language and some of the their culture. The more you know of something, the more capable you are of separating out the things you like from the ones you don't.