Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Maskerade by Terry Pratchett

Another one to add to the fantasy collection. Quite a nice book and really appeals to my theatrical side. I don't know much about Pratchett because this is the first of his books I have read, but he has a quippy writing style that makes the reader think they are in on a huge inside joke. It always feels great to be in the in-crowd.

This book is about murders in an opera house, but it really mocks the whole idea of theatre in general and the supreme diva-ness of performers. I found it to be a perfect example of the concept of, "it's funny because it's true!" In one section of the book he outlines some of the silly superstitions of theatre. He even goes so far as to explain some of them. Silly things that cause bad luck in theatre...giving live flowers, real jewelry worn on stage, real mirrors on stage, whistling, peaking through the curtains at the audience, using a brand new pallet of cake make-up on opening night, knitting on stage, and stopping a performance prematurely. All of these are unlucky for good reason, but rarely do people actually know the reasons. For example whistling in the theatre is bad luck because before headsets, grips and stage hands used to use whistling cues to know when to raise and lower drops and different fly-ins as well as change whole scenes. If you whistle, you might just find a heavy drop bar on your head!

"I don't feel down. I felt fine until you told me I was down,"
I think this speaks to quite a phenomenon of the human psyche. People are very susceptible to the opinions of those around them. When one person projects they create a self-fulfilling prophecy because the person being projected upon is going to wear whatever emotion is being thrown at them and not know what hit them.

Just a quick example of how funny Pratchett can be and how well-informed he is about his subject matter.... The Ghost in the story is writing new, modern "operas" and has titled them the following - Guys and Trolls, Hubwards Side Story, and (my personal favorite) Miserable Les. I really get a kick out of witty and topical humor!

Quite a nice read, and definitely caters to the artist in me. Yes, I probably can be a bit of a Diva, just like everyone else. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun book, I'll definitely have to check it out!

Mikey said...

Okay, so try telling me that I look happy when I don't, and hopefully it will cheer me up. Please do not tell me I look down when I possibly am happy, because then it will make me self-conscious and eventually too worried to be happy. Sounds complicated... Okay, try this: tell me I'm awesome ALL of the time. That should work perfectly!

Unknown said...

I think Ariana has read some of Pratchett's books. It does sound like something that would make the reader feel as if they were on the inside of the joke. I also think you are only a Diva sometimes. But isn't it fun to be the center...sometimes.