Sunday, March 8, 2009

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - Italy

Okay, so I have joined the masses of women who have read this book and now I wish to comment. As I zoomed through the pages, I made many notes and underlined words I found to be significant. There is far too much emotion and thought in this book to put it all into one blog post. I have decided to split it as the author did into three sections and give my commentary. Not quite a normal book review seeing how thought provoking this book was.

"as Lily Tomlin once said - 'things were going to get a whole lot worse before they got worse.'"
I have huge admiration for Lily Tomlin and her immense talent. And that talent, I sincerely believe, comes from a place of such sound observation of life and human interaction with the world around us. What I think many of us fail to remember sometimes is that just because things are bad doesn't mean there is a light quickly around the corner. Wallowing is good for no one, but blind optimism for an end that is not so near will eventually kill that optimism. Optimism should be used wisely so as to preserve it and keep it for our whole lives. We need to be open to the fact that realism is not pessimism in a pretty dress and that sometimes optimism needs a break to be a little depressed sometimes.

Something not for my own comment, but for you to ponder as I have. "'To find the balance you want, 'Ketut spoke through his translator, 'this is what you must become. You must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it's like you have four legs, instead of two. That way, you can stay in the world. But you must stop looking at the world through your head. You must look through your heart, instead. That way, you will know God.'"

"not to get too attached to any obsolete ideas about who I am."

This is something I struggle with from time to time. As a young person, I am changing even more than I can realize right now while I am living in the thick of it. I find though, that when I do notice something different about myself I tend to latch onto that new aspect of my personality and grip as tightly as I can. I take on this one aspect as my whole personality and before I know it, I have changed again and all I am gripping is air where my personality fad used to be. I am trying to teach myself - as I have been ever since I watched our home videos for the first time - to be less controlling. And to a large extent I have succeeded in this endeavor when it comes to others or group situations that I cannot possibly control. However, I still have some major control issues with myself and what I deem to be my world. I am trying to learn that not even I want to be controlled by me. This is a work in progress.

griefquake - a staggering amount of emotions colliding along a fault line causing mass emotional casualties and potential physical injuries to anyone standing too close to the epicenter of the disaster.

1 comment:

Mikey said...

I'm not exactly sure what this book is about, but it seems like the author has a lot of things to say. I guess I will find out more by reading your other posts about the book.