Thursday, August 14, 2008

Writing letters to pass the time

At the suggestion of someone pretty fantastic, I just joined this network called Postcrossing.com. It's a pretty awesome endeavor and essentially I am now going to have as many random penpals as I can handle from all over the world! Given the fact that I have been so into writing lately (letters, postcards, blog entries, my diary, etc.) this is going to be a blast.

My favorite pasttime as of late is to sit and write letter after letter. I think I have sent about 16 or so by now. And don't worry, if you haven't gotten one yet it is enroute....or you never gave me your mailing address and that is something you should do ASAP!!!

The best part I have discovered about letter writing is that, unlike a face to face conversation, you can take your time and really decide what it is you want to write. It also gives me a chance to reestablish contact with some people who I rarely speak to. Not all of the letters I have written have been happy and cheery and glowing. Of course I have my weak moments and some of the letters I have sent home have been sad, or a little depressing. If you have gotten or will be getting one of those letters, I'm sorry; I'll try to make the next one happier.

There is no pressure when you're writing a letter. At this point people are so excited to receive mail, myself included, that even some rambling is acceptable. Mail is also a sign that someone is thinking about you and thought you were important enough to take the time to write a little card or a letter. Letter writing is a genuinely sincere form of communication while others are still lacking. So the next time you are thinking of someone special, and you want them to know they are special, just write them a letter and it will speak volumes about how you feel about them!

3 comments:

Mikey said...

Well said. Written letters always have had more impact on me than most other forms of communication.

Anonymous said...

Agreed! Snail Mail is still great.

And I am pretty fantastic. ;)

Unknown said...

I LOVE letter writing - its one of my fav past-times. in high school I used to leave notes and cards in friends mailboxes that I knew I would see during the day - but it's such a great way to say hi or let someone know you're thinking of them. I also just think it's fun to sit and get out good paper and a fav pen and feel the pen on paper. i dunno - just something lovely and old-world about it. especially since it takes time to write the letter and then for the mail to take it wherever it goes.
wow - i totally want to leave work right now and go and write letters! :grin: