Thursday, August 28, 2008

Teacher-Lyse is 70 years young

Many things floating around in my mind currently, politics, religion, the meaning of life and all that. I'm not so sure this is the best venue to explore all those thoughts (really I just don't know the breadth of my readership and I don't have the guts to spill all). However I would like to talk a bit about something that everyone already knows about me - I am too old for my own good.

Maybe that's not entirely accurate. I am just plain old. It's not bad, just something that I think about from time to time, you know, when there are young people around me. I have made many new JET friends here and I have been trying to keep up with each of their respective blogs to know the kind of fun adventures they are all having. As I read I realize that they are all so YOUNG! They are out, going to bars, not working at their schools yet, traveling all around, receiving visitors - all in merely three weeks time. Now, don't get me wrong, I have some exciting things planned, like climbing Mt. Fuji and seeing the sunrise.

I think my real hang up is that I am a perpetual planner, especially if I am alone - I don't adventure solo. I would like to reiterate that this is not something I dislike about myself (i.e. you don't need to worry about the uber encouraging post telling me that I am really great fun girl and you love me, I love you too). I am just very impressed by the people I meet in my life who are fearless and live spontaneously everyday of their lives (Ariana!). And frankly when it is raining the way it has been around here, I'm not going anywhere except school and home!

Also I think I have gotten over the whole, "being in Japan is a once in a lifetime experience." This is my fifth time here; I have done the touristy stuff everyone is scrambling to do. I will come back here again. This is a special place in my life with huge significance and will always be a comfortable place for me to be. What's on my agenda now is to get settled, make this little apartment my own, and really be the best teacher/mentor/foreign influence I can for these kids. When it comes right down to it, I am a people person. I love to laugh and hear stories and tell stories and learn. I don't think I will be able to change the world through this job, but I may be able to touch lives and cultivate happy hearts and curious minds.

This is going to be an amazing year in my life, not because of all the places I'll see or the pictures I'll take, but because of the people I will meet and know and love. The students I get to know will influence my life the most I am certain. I always set out with the best intentions when I begin on an endeavor involving kids; but I always come out at the end having gotten the better end of the deal. I always learn more from the people I am trying to teach than they learn from me. I don't think that is my failing, I think it is their success.

I will always be the lucky one. The old lucky one. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

from one old-foggy to another: it's not a bad way to go through life! :wink:

Mikey said...

Hey man, we're the lucky ones too, young and old. You underestimate the effect you have on everyone you encounter. I'm sure I can speak for everyone you've met that our lives are better off with you in them. And so this comment doesn't become too sentimental, I'm going to say the uber-encouraging things you don't want to hear! Awww, don't worry. You're still great and fun like the rest of the young ones doing stuff all the time!

Anonymous said...

Yay for perpetual planners! And as you once told me before, it's not a bad thing, you just gotta know when to not plan, too. ;)

And I'm excited for all the postcards you've been getting through Postcrossing! I just sent out a bunch a few weeks ago, so hopefully I get some soon! Except I'm a little jealous that you have quite a variety of them, most of mine tend to come from the same place. LOL.