Friday, August 29, 2008

Back to school, back to school, to go show Dad I'm not a fool!

School starts on Monday! They gave me the run down of what I am going to have to do everyday next week in each of 5 schools! They are going to first have a teachers' meeting in the morning where they will formally introduce me to all the teachers at the school, plus the office personnel. During this introduction I need to have a 5 minute speech prepared introducing myself - entirely in Japanese.

After the teachers' meeting there is going to be an assembly of all the students. They are going to formally introduce me to all the students of the school and then I am expected to give a different 5 minute speech to the students - entirely in Japanese. I have been working on the speeches since they told me and let me tell you, my Japanese translation skills are rusty! I am a little impressed though with how much I do remember. And I wrote the translation in Japanese characters instead of Roman characters because if I am speaking in Japanese, I need to be reading Japanese, otherwise I get all screwed up.

I am usually okay with public speaking - I secretly love it - but this is going to really test me. Either they will think I am awesome or a big dork who can't speak properly! haha It's okay, those speeches are going to be an hour tops for the whole week, I can deal with that! What I am really excited about is my smaller self-introduction in class. I have made this powerpoint that I am pretty proud of. I usually hate powerpoint, but I had plenty of time to perfect this thing! I have used a lot of pictures and I think it is going to be fun for the kids and me too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA, I just viewed all your recent pictures (which I'm glad you've been updating, btw!), and I love your sweet party van!! =D

Good luck on your first day of school!!

Mikey said...

I'm pretty sure that they can think you're awesome AND a big dork who can't speak properly. Why have just one when you can have it all?

Unknown said...

BREAK A LEG WITH EVERYTHING!
I know you'll be awesome! :-D