Monday, August 18, 2008

Listening to static

Have you ever turned on your favorite radio station in your car, but all you heard was static? Or what's worse, you turn to your favorite radio station, and you can hear the music despite all the static? Without actually knowing Spanish, have you watched the Spanish channel on TV?

Last night, as I sat on my couch without legs, (hopefully I can get pictures up soon) watching highlights of the Olympics, I started to contemplate what it would be like to truly understand everything that was coming out of my TV. Because I am watching the Olympics, something so familiar to me - universal if you will, I am able to ignore the commentators and still enjoy the programming. All of the words coming from the TV sounds like static to me, but the image is appealing, so I don't turn it off. However, I don't turn down the sound due to the mere hope that they will say something I will comprehend. When that rarity happens and I comprehend the Japanese for a quick moment I think I am awesome! Very soon that feeling fades into hearing and understanding nothing but static again.

I have a new appreciation for people learning a foreign language. Yes, I was a formal student of Japanese many years ago, but at that time I was a wide-eyed high school student with an unquenchable desire to learn absolutely everything possible about the Japanese language and culture. I cannot take complete credit for this youthful motivation, the desire was really the direct result of having been the student of the most motivated and inspirational teacher I have ever met. I always wanted to know more and my sincere interest and desire to perform well for this teacher made learning the language, easy. My only saddness is that I was a student of his for merely two years.

How can a subject I once found so easy and exciting now overwhelm me with the ominous feeling of dread and failure? It is because this is where the tangible meets the intangible. The mere comprehension of words and phrases is not enough. Language is so much more than we tend to give it credit. A language relays information, but also is the verbalization, embodiment of a peoples' culture and tradition. Things like cliches are not born of literal situations, but of culturally accepted humor or philosophy. Intonation is an extremely delicate facet of language that can add new meaning (sometimes positive, sometimes negative) to an entire conversation; maybe even redefine the entire relationship of two people if used incorrectly.

These intangibilities are not something that can be taught in a classroom or from a book. They must learned through daily life and activities - suffered through by new students. I believe that learning a new language is more difficult for adults due to pride and ego. We all learn language beginning from the time we are infants. We are spoken to differently, we are given special consideration while we are learning. People speak around us, and we don't understand, but as children we lack the inhibitions that, as adults, keep us from trying. Adults are very capable, I would argue more capable than children, of learning anything, given their ability to reflect and reason.

They claim our brains are fully formed and learning new things becomes almost impossible because our brains are no longer expanding and growing. I believe this phenomenon is something less biological and more a learned state of being. As adults we are taught that change and growth is not necessary for us; it is acceptable to be stationary and we are freed from the "need" to adapt. And as adults we have a tendency to view people trying to teach us as disrespectful; especially if they are our peers or younger. In this sense we shut down our brains and almost refuse to learn something new, blaming it on our age or circumstance.

With this insight, I want to head off my own degredation into "stubborn" adulthood and relearn my Japanese in order to stop the static I hear all day. The JET Programme offers its participants free language courses complete with compulsory testing and evaluations. I have decided to challenge myself and instead of opting for the beginner course in Japanese I have decided to jump into the Intermediate course. This course requires that I know all the kana (hirigana and katakana), can recognize at least 100 kanji (of thousands!) and have a vocabulary of at least 800 "common" words. When I was in high school this would not have been a challenge for me in the least, but now it is something which makes me nervous. I am capable of learning this, and in the end I believe I will score well on my Japanese language aptitude test; I have decided that there is no other option for me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Annalyse - I just got your postcard today - thanks! Reading your blog post I had a moment where I was picturing you, without legs, on the couch. Then I re-read and realised that you had not experienced some tragic accident but that rather it was your couch that was legless! Good luck with your reading kick, though Bret Easton Ellis doesn't appeal.

Unknown said...

talk abt food for thuoght - this is a great post! so much 'stuff' included to think abt, ponder and keep my brain busy while my fingers do my work :grin:
i find it interesting that it doesn't seem to matter what culture you're in the older generations are believed to be the wiser and the young are always the annoying upstarts. interesting to think that this is a wide enough social behavoir to be found across cultures, languages and across the world.
ps - the tie breaker of the gymnastics girls was total crap! and the chinese female diver was amazing! :grin:

Mikey said...

I can totally relate to the post in that even though I have roughly no understanding of my parents' language, I can still tell what they're saying through tone, context, and other little signals I've learned by just being around them my whole life. And Rachael, I totally agree; that tiebreaker system is completely worthless. Nastia deserved gold.

Unknown said...

I believe our desire to grow and learn is what keeps adults young. It must be something that we are willing to come outside of our comfort zone to engage in, but it is worth the effort to have a more fulfilled life. I believe you were born an old soul so you have had much to come outside of your comfort zone to experience. Wow what an inspiration of courage and maturity you are. I love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

Great post. And I'm glad you've decided to take on the challenge of learning more Japanese! :)