Monday, August 18, 2008

Aggravation

I just need a moment and a space to vent quickly, I hope.

APO was my life in college! I gave everything I had to them and loved it. I miss APO like crazy, but I am more than happy to pass along the organization to some very capable hands.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the issue of Family Trees...I would like to clarify some things.

First, officially, as per a vote by the organization, I am Matt Rand's little.

Secondly, I think the people commenting about this situation on the Alumni Facebook group need to take a moment and reassess. We are all ALUMNI, that means that APO belongs to other people now and is merely a fond memory and the occasional reason to get together and drink, until that just becomes inappropriate. But let's face it, for some of them that behavior will always be acceptable.

Thirdly, Matt Rand is my Big first and foremost because he fulfilled the role that my Big was supposed to, but never did. He is to this day one of my best friends and mentors.

That is all I have to say about that. I just wish people would deal with themselves and move on with their lives.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well said! woot! woot! and if you ever hear me say POA - you'll know that is my deffinition for this sort of drama!
huge hugs babe!

Mikey said...

Nice venting! Way to open up a can!

Anonymous said...

My name is Bill. I'm a long time reader, first time commenter. :-P

Okay so I was unaware of the "controversy", perhaps because i've already taken your second statement to heart, "APO belongs to other people now."

But I just want to say that I agree with you. Big = mentor. If you aren't broken up about never seeing your little and having zero connection with them during your time there, you sure as shit can't be causing a stink 4 years later when there isn't a little line connecting your names on a facebook picture.

Ridiculous.

On a happier note, I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your entries. Even the "boring" ones about "reading". American Psycho is a great movie. I'm sure the book is even more graphic. But Christian Bale does a phenomenal job in that role. I should probably spread these out over their related entries, but I wont. I'll just try to comment as I read next time. I'm glad you seem to be enjoying Japan so much!

Okay last thing (at this point i probably should have written your a letter or an email or something). So I was watching a DVD of Rumors that I found in my house yesterday (Random, much????) and my brother (13 yrs old) comes over and starts watching it with me, and I told him about the house and how I stayed up until ungodly hours of the morning working on it. And he looks at me and goes,
"Did you get paid to do it?" and i laughed and told him,
"No, I didn't get paid."
and he says, "Well, then why did you do it?"

I didn't give him an answer. And I'm not sure I could put an answer together that really answers that question. But your opening paragraph made me think about that. I just thought I'd share.

Ha, ok, next time i'll just write you a letter. Stay safe!