Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Music as an anchor in my life

Everyday when I get home from school I do a few things - they have become my routine. I turn on my air conditioner, I turn on my fan to blow the cool air from the air conditioner into other parts of the apartment, and I turn on my digital photo frame. This is a gift I received last July from the staff of HSD. I will probably post about my thoughts and reflections of that program later, but for now suffice it to say this was a really fantastic goodbye gift.

So digital photo frames seem to be all the rage these days, and I am beginning to understand why. While I was in the States I didn't use it that much because everyone I loved and needed in my life was right there within arms' or telephone's reach at all times. Being here a little bit more removed my frame has proven to be a saving grace; a kind of security blanket. I have learned how to use the frame pretty well and on it I have a constant slide show of about 250 pictures. These photos include my family, my close friends, pictures of my parents' house, my different apartments in college, and my previous travels to Japan and Europe. Along with this awesome slide show I have also included some music that is significant in my life to give a nice, sappy soundtrack. The music I have included has all been given to me/introduced to me by someone else. When people share music that is important to them with me I consider that one of the greatest gifts they could give.

Music has played an intensely significant role in my life. The music I have been given by others immediately reminds me of them and all of the wonderful reasons I cherish their friendship. I can also

sidenote **A small, terribly insignificant, but nevertheless real, earthquake just happened**

change the music and pictures on this frame whenever I choose, so I have been adding pictures as I find them on my computer and other various sources online. When it comes to pictures I am not so discriminatory, however the music I choose must have a certain amount of significance before I put it on the frame. Right now my frame includes songs from Joss Stone, Billy Joel, Lady Antebellum, Cake, Ingrid Michaelson, Sublime, and Corinne Bailey Rae.

Music is something so far-reaching, yet so private in each of our lives. The same song heard by 5 different people will evoke 20 different emotions from beginning to end. There is the touchstone of the common lyrics - something tangible that people can hold on to; but then when the melodies are heard no two people hear the same thing. I would venture to say that no one person hears the samething every time.

I know I have my own little soundtrack playing in my head all day. (Go ahead, call me crazy, I probably deserve it.) And if it were up to me, I would listen to music every second of every day of my life. Sometimes it makes me happy, sometimes sad, mad, confused, but every single time it fills in little pieces of my soul and personality that are impossible to know or express any other way.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ah, the soundtrack of life! I have one playing in my head all the time too :grin: keeps me sane actually. allows me to express my feelings inside without expressing them outside. especially handy when at work or with family.
I also love that music can change my moods. I can start out sad and feel comforted and end up back somewhere around level in the span of 3 odd mintues or so :grin:
heehee! over the rainbow just came into my head. see? thinking of you!!

Mikey said...

I'm with you; music has such a huge effect on my mood. I have to watch out, though, since sometimes I'll be feeling fine and want to listen to a sad song which then puts me in a melancholic mood. It makes me think about that quote from High Fidelity: "Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" Very interesting that in some cases, I listen to music that exemplifies my mood, and in others, my mood becomes the mood of the music I'm listening to.

Unknown said...

I also enjoy music, but I think my two girls have followed in their father's footsteps for their connection both spiritually and intellectually to music of many flavors. I love to hear you sing!

Anonymous said...

It is really interesting to me that a completely "un-musical" event through the day will remind me of a song lyric, either because of a sound or a word or an action, which then has me singing to myself the rest of the day.

Unknown said...

I also have always felt a very strong connection with music. Recently I have gained a huge respect for the song writers that can but such a vast aray of emotions into 3 minutes. They have an amazing ability to share with the world, and I am content just to take it all in.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your posts, they're always very interesting. Now, imagine if life was a musical?

*song break*

On a serious note, I do love the feeling of being totally involved in music, that listening to a song (or singing or playing one) makes you become all aspects of the sound.

Joss Stone & Billy Joel!! Love it. :)