Sunday, February 15, 2009

If I were a bell

Hand bells are not exclusively Japanese, but it is in Japan that I experienced my first hand bell concert. I have told you about Akemi before - she is one of the women in the Heartful English Club - she invited me to her Alma Mater's hand bell concert. It was such a fun time, especially because I recognized most of the songs they played! I have always been in awe of people who have had the skill and talent to play a musical instrument and these hand bell players were incredible! I like to sing and I am decently talented, but I think it takes so much more coordination and skill to actually play an instrument! I am going to be one of those awful mothers that require her children know how to play the piano or some other instrument of their choosing (hopefully something that can be in a jazz band!)


Okay now, tunnel vision (that one is for you Theresa), each girl had about 6 or 7 bells for which she was responsible. And often I noticed that girls would share bells within the same song. I can only imagine the rehearsal that goes into choreographing a hand bell concert! They are able to move their hands with such precision and at lightening speeds. If you have never been to a hand bell concert, I would surely recommend that you find one! The music they make is so complete and beautiful.

3 comments:

Mikey said...

I've only seen videos, but those handbell players are really talented! You would think that shaking something would be easy, but the timing and coordination needed for handbell playing is just ridiculous! Much harder than shaking a Wiimote!

Anonymous said...

TUNNEL VISION! Hahaha! I love it, I haven't thought of that in forever!

I've never heard of handbell performances before, so I'll have to search for some videos. It seems neat!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I always considered myself a huge dork for being a handbell player for 9 yrs of my life. Such that those I played with became my second family. I still miss those days! ps - did they ever hold more than one bell in a hand but only ring one bell at a time? :wink: