Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I must be crazy

I have been trying to keep it a secret, but let's face it - I suck at keeping my own secrets. (For my friends out there, never fear I am only loose with my own secrets, I am a champ at keeping yours, promise.) So I started a running regiment and it is totally kicking my big ol' butt. I was running really sporadically before February, but since last Sunday I have kept myself to running every other day. I am incredibly out of shape, so running is hard. And to say hard is a huge understatement.

I can run for about 15 minutes without stopping, and then I just want to die. So, I walk for 10 minutes or so and then I run some more. My body is sore, but I was expecting that. I was afraid my crappy ankles would start hurting, but I have been lucky so far. Here is where my lousy secret keeping comes into play. I mentioned to some teachers at Sanwa that I had started running because I wanted to exercise. This news caused them to invite me to run with them yesterday after school. It was Wednesday, so I was supposed to have the day off, but I figured it is a good idea to take them up on their offer. I warned them that I would be exceptionally slow and they assured me it was okay.

Hiromi kept paced with me - which was extremely kind of her. I lagged way behind the group, but at least it gives me something to work for. I doubt I will ever be "fast" but my goal right now is just endurance. I want to be able to run for 30 or 45 minutes without stopping. I am quite a way off that goal for now, but it is something to work toward. And since Hiromi went slowly with me, we were able to work on the speech I have to give to Koga Third teachers tomorrow. I have included it below with a translation!

おはようございます。 私の名前はアネリス ヘイスリップです。 アメリカから来ました。 今まで日本に四かい来ました。 だから五かいめです。 日本の食べ物はぜんぶ好きです。 でもなっとうが大きらいです。 私はしゅうじにきょうみがあります。 私はみんなと勉強することが楽しみです。 よろしくお願いします。

Good morning. My name is Annelyse Haislip. I am from the United States of America. I have been to Japan four times before and this is my fifth time. I love all Japanese food, except natto. I am really interested in Japanese calligraphy. I am really looking forward to teaching the students. Pleased to meet you all.

So, I hope you all are cheering me on in my efforts to get healthy!

3 comments:

Mikey said...

I also aspire to be a better runner, and I'll tell you, getting started is the worst part. You feel awful, everyone is running faster than you, and you don't want to mention it to anyone until you have something to show for it! However, running with people is always better than running alone, in my opinion. Going to the gym has always been intimidating for me, but the more I go, the more I realize that it's a really positive environment full of people who are willing to help you achieve your goals. And I want to give a shout-out to that huge guy who helped spot me. You didn't have to exert all that energy to lift that barbell with one hand as I struggled to bench press it with all my might, but you did, and I'm thankful. Keep up the good work with the running; you will most definitely see results!

Unknown said...

Well as a defeated gym rat, I say don't give up. I have traded in my weights for the treadmill and stationary bike. I too want endurance and a better physical condition (a sexy body wouldn't hurt either). I think if you listen to your body, push it a little more each time and stay consistent results will follow. Hurrah for all of us "trying" to do something healthy.

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you've decided to take on running! Keep at it, you can do it! :) I tried, once upon a time, but I got bored when I was confined to running on a treadmill indoors since it was in the middle of winter. However, I would like to give it a try again, once the weather gets warmer and I can get outside! So run, Annelyse, run! :)