Tuesday, December 23, 2008

What Christmas means to me

In my life, Christmas is not about the presents, but the thought that goes into them. I always feel so loved that the people in my life take the time to write me letters and send me presents. I will say though that when it comes to buying me anything, my Mom has got the game all figured out. She puts so much thought into her purchases, not only around the holidays, but anytime she is buying something for someone else. She loves the feeling and joy of gift giving and it shows in her purchases.

Christmas has become so commercialized (especially here in Japan), but the act of buying presents for someone else is not about the brand name or the price tag. It is about making the gift of love tangible. Love is a beautiful gift all its own, but sometimes seeing the physical embodiment of that love makes us see how special we all are and how much the people around us really care. I didn't get anything from Tiffany's or Burberry, but what has been sent to me is so much more tender to my heart. I have taken pictures, so you can check it out if you want. I got a lacquered box that was beautifully painted with West Virginia and our motto. She sent me something to hang on the wall, "Family is Forever"; my favorite flavors of tea and scents of candles.

Being away from home during this time of year is strange for me. I am not depressed or crying myself to sleep, but that is in large part because of the thoughtfulness and love of not only my wonderful family, but my dear, dear friends as well. I cannot send out enough warm wishes and thanks to everyone who has brightened my holiday season. I hope that you all are able to be surrounded by old friends, new friends, family or someone that can just say, "I'm glad you're here with me."

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Your mom is so good at finding those little things that make you feel connected to home regardless of where you are. A big shout-out to your mom for those three things she got me! They are definitely better than two.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kudos, but I must admit as I age (gracefully lol), I truly am enjoying thinking of just the right thing that fits someone and then giving it to them completing the circle. Shopping for you was a great joy for me!! I am so glad you they brought the warmth of home to you. I had THE BEST time choosing and giving the Browning girls their gifts - all four of them.