Friday, December 5, 2008

Parallelism

What do you think of the existence of parallel universes? I think the cool thing about them is that they hold all the alternative outcomes to the events in our lives. For example, in a parallel universe, I did not move to Japan and I have a completely different life. Every choice and decision in our lives rips space and creates other parallel universes to take on every possible choice and live out the subsequent outcomes. Of course this is all science fiction and completely improbable, but to think about it is really cool - and sometimes it gives me piece of mind.

It is comforting to know that when things are disappointing in this string of time, that parallel to me it is all turned around, completely opposite, and not so disappointing. It is the same as the concept of, "there is always someone less fortunate than you." But the key difference is that is wipes out the envy and pity pieces, because in parallel universes the person that is better or worse off than you, is you! It makes decision making easier and takes the seriousness out of life sometimes which makes everything more bearable.

3 comments:

Mikey said...

This will be a hit to my manliness, of which there isn't much to begin with, but I'll say it anyway. This post reminded me of that movie Sliding Doors with Gwyneth Paltrow. Okay, let's save me some embarrassment and act like I just said, "This reminds me of that one episode of Scrubs when the story branched into two paths depending on if a butterfly landed on a woman's breasts or the breasts of the fat guy sitting beside her." In that episode, both stories ended the same way, which makes me think about some events in life that are unavoidable, regardless of the choices we make. Someone pretty wise once said that one often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. Yeah, I just quoted Kung Fu Panda. That's some deep stuff right there.

kait said...

mikey would quote kung fu panda in a blog post.

Unknown said...

I think more people should take life with a strong dash of humor and maybe some of the problems we perceive wouldn't be "problems" at all.