Tuesday, December 23, 2008

End of the year = Partaaaay!

This week marks the beginning of the winter break for students here in Japan. That means that the teachers can let loose!! Every school has a party near the end of the calendar year called a Bon enkai; this just means end of the year party. Sanwa just had theirs on Monday night and there was great fun had by all.

As I have come to expect with these parties, there is always fantastic food of many varieties. I had some sashimi, sushi, cooked fish, beef, pork, pickled vegetables, onabe, and oranges for dessert. There was a nice array of non-alcoholic drinks there as well, so I spent the night sipping on some fizzy orange juice.

The most fun part was that every teacher at the school was there. It was great to see everyone out of the teacher's room, talking, laughing, having a good time. We played bingo with fun little Disney cards and I got some cool towels out of the grab bag. Everyone ended up winning something, so it was nice and communal and fair - very Japanese. After the bingo, people started breaking out the karaoke, and I was prompted to sing. I sang my go-to Japanese song (Ue o muite, aruko) and then at the end of the evening I sang The Christmas Song. I am a social person, and I enjoy being at a party with friends. I also like people watching, and this party provided for some prime entertainment!

2 comments:

Mikey said...

What?! No Mariah Carey? I thought THAT was your go-to song! Anyways, this party sounded really fun! I really want an Orangina now. Whoever thought that making orange juice fizzy is a genius, and I would like to thank that person.

...and ask him for some Orangina.

Unknown said...

You will be able to join the sisters three (of the Browning variety) in their newly formed band as the "back up" singer to Ruby. Lucy plays the keyboards and Halle dances while Mom bangs on the drums. I can't wait to sit in the front row and go crazy.