Sunday, April 12, 2009

Turn, Turn, Turn

It has been two weeks since all of the new teachers came to Sanwa - all 12 of them! and one week since classes have begun and the new students have been in school. I started teaching again this week.

Of course as a recovering Metathesiophobe (fear of changes), I was a little apprehensive about the flurry of activity around me as the new school year approached. Sanwa underwent some pretty big changes including 12 new teachers (3 of which are English), a new Vice Principle, of course new freshman students, and a new layout to the teacher's room. But I am happy to report that not only have I endured the changes, but I am enjoying my new view of the teachers room and I am excited to meet my new students. The new English teachers are really great too and it helped that I knew two of the three of them before they got here! One teacher is from my old school, Sakai Nishi, and the other is from the school where I was a substitute ALT, Yachiyo High School. They are such nice women and oddly, I am helping them learn the culture of Sanwa a bit since I have been here longer. Imagine that, me with some experience! haha

The story with our new Vice Principle is a little strange to me, and I am sure I am missing some of the details in translation, but... The Vice Principal that was here until March had no clue he was leaving until about three days before the new school year was to begin! I kind of think about it like a sports team; our Principal knew he would be trading the VP, but he didn't tell the VP until the last minute so that nothing could be done about it. It came as a shock to everyone, and as with so many other situations I have encountered here, no one seems to understand what is going on or have details about a situation. I will never cease to be surprised by the amount of blind faith the Japanese have in the group and the higher-ups to make decisions. They aren't really concerned with details or the reason why - a way of going through life that is completely foreign to me.

Last week was rather uneventful for me at work, but on Thursday I had my rock concert debut! Every year there is a welcome assembly for all the new students. They listen to speeches and most importantly, every club at school does a small presentation for them to try and entice them to join. I thought it was cool to watch all of the different clubs (mostly sports) give little demonstrations. At the end of this segment, the "rock band" club sang two songs for the school. I have been practicing with Kohei and Kensaku for about 5 weeks now and watching these guys play is just fun. Kohei was one of my students that went to Australia way back in November and he always makes it a point to come and speak to me when I am working at Sanwa.

Sadly I have not been spending as much time outdoors since school started because of being a little busier (thank goodness) and of having a yucky head cold. I have been reading like a fiend of course and still riding my bike when I do go out. Hopefully this head gunk will pass quickly. I have more travel plans in the works and I will be sure to keep everyone updated. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to know how your concert went. I also want to know if they recruited any new students. I too look forward to hearing about your upcoming travelling experiences.

Anna said...

Hey. I think you got the VP from my old school. I didn't know he was leaving either. I loved him :( I am seeing him this Friday night though (for the good bye teacher party). I am only going for him!

Mikey said...

That's a lot of new teachers! I'm glad you're adjusting well; I like change, as it keeps things fresh and new.