Monday, April 6, 2009

The circus is in town!

I love when my friends have birthdays because it means that I get to join in their fun as well!! This weekend was my friend Jason's birthday and his girlfriend, Chika, and I bought tickets for the three of us to go to a Cirque du Soleil show! I have known a bit about Cirque, but I had never seen a show. Before we went, I did a bit of research and learned that Cirque du Soleil has been around for over 20 years! It began in Canada and now can be seen in many locations all around the world. Unlike Broadway or traditional theatre, Cirque shows are in two separate categories - shows that travel and shows that do not. The shows that do not travel are only in one location, so the show here in Japan cannot be seen anywhere else in the world.

The whole idea behind Cirque du Soleil is to be a new-age circus for a modern audience. The spectacle of the show is completely amazing. The acrobatic feats and amazing strength of the performers is nothing short of awesome. There were two singers that narrated each act. They were very talented and had voices so clear and controlled. We could not quite make out the language in which they were singing, but it sounded like a romance language; Spanish perhaps.

At the beginning of the show there were traditional clowns drawing in the crowd and connecting the story. The story of this particular show (titled ZED) was of a man who was drawn into a story book and then became part of the story. The performers were from all over the world. My favorite part was the strength demonstration. There were two people who were lifted up from the floor. The man was standing up with his head bent down and there was a woman on his back, upside down. her head was bent and she was balanced on his shoulders. They moved completely in slow motion and the physical strength was mind boggling. I felt like a kid watching with eyes wide and mouth agape. I am on a mission to see as many different Cirque shows that I can!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

I love Cirque du Soleil! Their shows are amazing, and I love the music. :)

Unknown said...

That brings back memories when we took you and the twins to the Clyde Beatty Cole Brothers circus in Winchester. We watched the elephants raise the tents and then went to the show. We even have pictures of some of the different acts. I would like to see a Cirque show sometime just to be awed.

Lauren Parker Lasater said...

what the hell?! I didn't know you went to that!!!!!! I WANT TO GO!!! :) LOVE YA!

Mikey said...

That is quite the birthday present! I want to go to the circus!!!