Wednesday, January 7, 2009

This isn't the wave pool

One tradition in Japan that I thoroughly enjoy is the onsen. I have mentioned it before, but the onsen is a natural hot spring and public bath house. I am lucky enough for my apartment building to be right in front of an onsen, so I can take advantage of it all the time. The whole ritual of communal bathing is so un-American in its public nakedness and vulnerability, but I find it relaxing. Of course the onsens are divided by gender, but even then being naked in front of other women can be a daunting experience the first time. During Gabby's visit, I took her to the onsen. Honestly, I never thought it would fly, but I was really impressed with how she just jumped right in and actually enjoyed the experience. The coolest part for me was watching her surprise with herself. The onsen is not an experience necessary for life, but even the tiniest things allow people room to expand their outlook and grow in some way. The bigger lesson from all this is that she did something she never expected of herself - she succeeded where she didn't think possible and that is something that can transcend this one event and possibly make her more confident in life.

3 comments:

Leah J. said...

Dan and I are heading to Steamboat Springs, CO this week for vacation, where there are a number of natural hot springs. After 6 p.m., they're all 18+, since clothing becomes optional. I don't think they're divided by gender, though, so it might be a little more awkward. Who knows, though? We've been thinking of going, so now it's just a matter of doing it!

Unknown said...

I am glad some can be open enough to share with others such a natural and comfortable experience. I no longer have a body I want to look at let alone subject others to, so I am thinking I won't have the onsen experience, but I sure am glad you can.

Mikey said...

Taking baths at the onsen seems like a combination of showering and going to the sauna at the gym. It's a great way to cleanse the body, relax, and hang out with people all at the same time! Now I feel like heading over to the rec...