Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Kabuki, creme brulee, and singing the night away

In all the times I have visited Japan, I had never before seen a Kabuki theatre performance. Sadly, as with most live performances and really any kind of art, no one is allowed to take pictures, so I have only my arsenal of words to paint the picture of my Kabuki experience. As always, Lauren has the best ideas for a random something to do and she suggested that while Gabby and her sister were visiting we should hit up a Kabuki show.

Now, if you know nothing about Kabuki there are some special things you should know. #1 Kabuki theatre performances are an all day event usually lasting the better part of 6 hours with as many acts. #2 Professional theatre in all its forms all over the world is expensive - but there is ALWAYS a student discount :) #3 You can choose to wake up very early and trek in to Tokyo to stand in line and wait for the half-day tickets. These tickets have a significant price reduction, there is no assigned seating, just first come first served and you can only stay for half of the acts (3). This is the option we chose and I think it was more than sufficient to get a feel for what kabuki really is.

Each act of a Kabuki performance seems relatively disconnected. In each act there is a clear beginning, middle, and end of the story. In my acting classes in high school and college, I was always taught to draw upon true emotions and actual life experiences in order to develop my character and make my plight as believable as possible. In Kabuki, the name of the game is shtick and over-acting. Kabuki is extremely physical and elaborate; everything from the costumes to the language to the physical movements is something seeming almost animated and not of this world. To watch Kabuki is a treat for the eyes with all the color and grandiose stage props.

After our theatre excursion, we headed off for some lunch at a lovely French restaurant called Henri Charpentier's. When you walk in, you think you are in an upscale jewelry boutique; but upon a closer look you realize that there are cakes and desserts in the glass jewelry cases, not ruby and diamond rings! The restaurant is actually down a lovely spiral staircase tucked in against a two story bookshelf. Kathryn (Lauren's sister) nailed it when she said it reminded her of The Great Gatsby!

Lunch was delectable and naturally, four girls, had to order dessert after. We were not disappointed in the least by our four flavored creme brulees, lemon tarts, strawberry shortcake, or caramel flan. We felt like fancy princesses while in the over-stuffed, larger than life pink chairs and love-seats. Even the bathroom doors were hidden behind faux black-lacquered bookshelves with pink and white and purple books.

Shortly after lunch, Gabby and I had to hit the road and get back to Koga in time for her Welcome Party. My conversation club, Heartful, decided that Gabby should have a proper welcome with Karaoke hot chocolate and all. The group of us ended up having a really fantastic time that night. The only downside is that Gabby sang her little heart out and that along with the chilly weather caused her to lose her voice a bit. She will be more than fine, but I think her parents thought I had poisoned her. I swear, lead a girl to karaoke and you can't rip the mic away!

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Woo hoo! Finally, pictures in the posts! I just thought that was cool. This sounded like a fun girls' day out, going to a Kabuki show, eating at a fancy French restaurant, and an evening party with karaoke. Thinking about it just tires me out!

Unknown said...

Mike is right, the image you drew sounds like a movie scenario for a perfect girls day out. I am impressed with your computer knowledge in putting pictures in your blog. I would like to hear more about the stories from the three acts you did see in kubuki theatre. I am glad you are having a great time.