Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Thank you Serendipity for opening my eyes to this incredible book. It took me a while to finish, but I was sincerely hooked the whole time; it wasn't a struggle. It is a pure love story with a wonderful dose of reality built right in. Simply put, love is strained, love is unpredictable, and even when they are in love people seek affection and intimacy elsewhere.

It is the infuriating and invigorating story of a childhood love pulled apart and destroyed by preconceptions and the pursuit of social standing. The main characters merely exchange letters and admire one another from afar during their youth. As the girl is pushed to advance her social status by her father, she is forced to forgo her heart's true love. For over 50 years the main characters continue to live in the same city, and live completely separate lives. The woman goes on to marry into a higher social class and the man climbs the social ladder by way of hard work and business acumen.

The man is hopelessly in love with the main female character, but her rejection sends him into a tailspin of illicit sexual relationships in which he refuses to feel emotional love. He attempts throughout his whole life to seek solace through the warmth of a body next to him. Of course this cannot cure his love sick heart and his soul continues to belong to the female lead. Every accomplishment he has in his life is gained consciously in honor of his heart's true love. He plans his whole life for and around her in the hope and anticipation of the day she will become a widow.

This day finally happens, and they are true to their love from the days of ol'. They acknowledge the passage of time and the changes they have each endured and in spite of everything, their love and affection for one another is steadfast. I highly recommend this book to anyone. Yes, it is a love story, but not so sappy actually. There are some incredibly smart and perceptive commentaries on human nature and society. Wonderful book!

3 comments:

Mikey said...

Sounds like a good read! I'm glad to see that patience and hard work pays off. Yup. Lots and lots of patience. Lots.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your take on the book, but I'm not sure it is one I would enjoy. I like the sappy love stories like Love Story. I also wonder if I would empathize with the female lead or hold her in disdain. I might just sandwich it in between my sappy Nora Roberts stories to take away and sting there might be.

Unknown said...

I hear the End of the Alphabet is another good love story with depth - I'm trying to find a copy to read without buying it :wink: