Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Grass People

I got to go to my first Japanese play. Hiromi, the woman in Heartful, is such a fun lady. Just a few weeks ago she was in a dance festival, and then two weekends ago, she was in a play. This play, when translated, was called "The Grass People." To be honest, I could understand general idea of what was happening, but most of the words escaped me. The cast sang a very powerful song at the beginning and then did a reprise at the end, but it was not a musical at all.

It was a story of servitude and the rifts of love between social classes. The Grass People were in service to the Shogun, and the Shogun fell in lust with his servant girl, who was already in love with another peasant like herself. So the Shogun went on a jealous rampage and the servant girl tried running away. But of course in the end, the Shogun lost and the family was reunited and it was very happy.

I will say that I was deeply impressed by the acting abilities of the actors on stage. This was just a community theatre production, but the emotion the characters were able to show and elicit from the audience were very powerful. During the most emotionally trying parts, the characters in distress would cry, real tears. Not only did one person cry, but 5 people were able to make real tears happen on stage - I was kind of amazed.

There was a Japanese gentleman who sat next to me during the performance. He is an optometrist in Koga and he began the conversation by asking if he could practice his English with me. It was really cool to meet such an eager and confident Japanese person. I really enjoyed speaking with him and found out that he loves to travel and do Karaoke in his free time, of which he has little. He loves to go to the theatre, but it is hard for him to make the time. He asked about my university and where I was from in the states and we had a nice conversation to pass the time before the play started and then again at intermission. I am happy that people are willing to talk to me and that I seem approachable, it helps me to make new friends!

After the performance, I stayed to say hello to Hiromi. She was so emotional still, the play moved her and she was also very proud of the cast and the performance they all gave. And she introduced me to a famous Japanese television actor that had come to see the play as well. After that, she introduced me to the director of their play and of the community theatre troupe. It was really cool because they decided that I should be involved with the next production they do!!! I was floored, just because I enjoy theatre Hiromi convinced the director that I should join them. I don't know at this point when that will be or what my role in the production will actually be, but the prospect is really exciting for me! How cool would it be to be in a Japanese play? The practice is going to be hard and I will have to work uber lots, but we will see how everything pans out!

3 comments:

Mikey said...

I'm glad to see how passionate they were about the play! I'm also glad you're going to be a part of the next production! That's really exciting!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! Your old high school just put on Beauty and the Beast and as I sat in the audience and watched; I was struck by the fact that I truly miss watching you perform. You were always the best and I never tired of sitting in a darkened theatre seeing the talent you possess. If you are in a Japanese production, please have someone tape it for us back home.

kait said...

this is too cool! you're having such great experiences! wish i could see the play!