Monday, July 28, 2008

Realizing this is a good thing

So, I've finally cried because it has just hit me that I'm actually moving to Japan. I have been talking about this move for a year and only now is it finally upon me. The more I think about it though, the more ready I am for this move.

I have been in contact with my predecessor from the main school where I will be teaching. He is a wonderful guy and he is making this transition really easy on me. His enthusiasm is good for me; it keeps me out of my own head. I think some things are going to be really great about moving to Japan, like living on my own. It will truly be independence and help me to figure some things out that have been on my mind for a while; alone time to think is going to be good for me right now.

On a less heady note, today was a very good and productive day. I bought some gifts for the people I will meet in Japan. There is a farmer's market near the house and Mom and my sister and I found some really cool things made right here in West 'by God' Virginia! I am really proud of this state and where I come from, so that will be cool to share with my students in Japan. One of the coolest things is that it seems every Japanese person I have ever met knows the song, "Country Roads," by John Denver; so they all know about West Virginia and the beauty we have to offer and that makes me happy. :)

I think working with the students in Japan is going to be my most favorite part, if I had to guess. I really love kids and I always find that I can learn so much more from them than I think they learn from me. But regardless I think it is not only practically beneficial, but a great experience to share common interests and allow someone else to teach me new things.

I want to learn more about Japanese calligraphy and I think I think I may want to start a bowling league. Going to do karaoke is going to be something I really enjoy as well. ;) I want to write letters and begin to have real Pen Pals. I want to let the people in my life who mean the most to me know exactly how I feel and how important they are to my happiness. This is going to be a really great year, and even though I am far away, I think some of my friendships will become stronger and closer than ever and that is exciting!

1 comment:

Mikey said...

It really amazes me how Country Roads is THE popular American song for every Japanese person. Score one point for West Virginia!