Thursday, July 3, 2008

Memories

In my efforts to pack, I have begun the tedious task of cleaning out my room to make it guest room appropriate. In my purging exercise I have come across some things that I almost forgot existed. I discovered that I was so tediously organized that I had categorized just about everything I own down to my Lego pieces by color and size. Needless to say, going through my room has brought up a ton of memories, and also given my inner OCD child an infinite playground.

First my pictures...I found pictures of when I played t-ball, baseball, softball, was a cheerleader, was a pageant queen, all the shows I've ever been in. When I start to think about it, I have no clue how I fit all of that into my young life. I think there must have been 48 hours in a day back then. It's so nice that I have gone through these pictures because there are some really great ones of my family, and the three of us kids when we were little. And, on a slightly more embarrassing note, I was able to see the pictorial display of my boyfriends over the years. It seemed like every new picture I looked at was me in another formal dress with a different boy...said best by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles, "My mama told me, you better shop around." And in the end, I found a bunch of pictures all with one boy, and he's been around for a really long time and for that I am truly thankful.

I've also started going through my books, and I have a confession to make. I am a literary kleptomaniac, and if you know that I have a book you have loaned to me and then never seen again, I'm sorry. I have one children's book in my room that I just found and laughed out loud. This book is entitled Shooby is Short. Now for those of you who know me, well even those who don't know me but have seen me, it goes without saying, I am short. I remember being given this book the summer before my junior year of high school. That was a really great summer for me, but I was hanging out with some especially tall people that reminded me all the time how little I was, so Shooby was quite appropriate.

Turns out, I used to write a lot, maybe at some point I'll put some of that stuff on here. I tend to live in my head a lot and I used to write on scraps of paper, napkins, pieces of cereal boxes, etc. This whole cleaning out my room thing has gotten me started thinking about my childhood and in what ways I have grown and changed throughout the years. I would bet that many people don't usually reflect upon their own personal growth, I know I haven't. I've missed a lot of the different ways I have changed, only now that I am being confronted with my thoughts and behaviors of my youth am I starting to consider it.

Maybe more thoughts about my cleaning endeavors and growth later...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey there!
so this is pretty cool!
I have to confess I laughed out loud about the shooby is short line. seems like a better gift than the song - short people got which is what I used to sing to you. :sigh: better yet - good things come in small packages!
ok - I'll stop teasing about the short jokes.
I know you must be crazy busy, but write more often girlie! Anxious readers want to hear from you!
hugs!

Mikey said...

Great post! Also, I'm really glad that you were able to return my book. Now I'm not too worried about all the other stuff of mine that you've taken!