Monday, June 8, 2009

Angry chick music is my favorite!

It is by far the most fun thing to sing and often the lyrics are not only pointed, but hilarious!! Some of my favorites (the anger levels are all relative) Kate Nash, Ingrid Michaelson, Regina Spektor, KT Tunstall, Alanis Morissette, Meredith Brooks, Duffy, Adele, Joan Jett, Jewel, Janis Joplin, and Lily Allen!!! Which brings me to my wonderful weekend with my fantastic girl, Lauren (you knew it).

On Friday afternoon, Lauren and I both braved the rain and the traffic to venture into our favorite city for a concert we have been talking about for months!! Lily Allen graced Tokyo with her presence and her tunes to lighten up an otherwise dreary Friday night. The venue was small and intimate in Shibuya called O East. The drinks were good, and the music was better. Her lyrics are snappy and I think they can be very clever sometimes - I will say that her language can be a bit vulgar, so that might be a big turn off for some. She has a wonderful energy on stage and a really great way of performing her music in a live setting.

I learned about Lily merely by chance a few years ago when I was in GB 301 (the subject matter of the class isn't really important for the story). My first day of class, at 8:30am, I walk into the cold room to be greeted with Lily Allen blasting from the speakers and videos being projected onto the screen at the front of the room. My professor wanted to jump right in and discuss with us her innovative and exciting marketing techniques and the career he was certain then (3 years ago) was going to explode - Professor Cross, you were right. Since that morning, I have been hooked on Lily Allen and I have started to seek out these cheeky girls for my listening enjoyment - I find that most of them come from the UK - what does that say? ;)

As is every adventure spent with Lauren, it was a very happy and exciting evening. The music was fantastic and now I have to curb my envy for this 23 year-old singing sensation traveling all over the world just to sing!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

sometimes the best thing is the WORLD is angry chick music - second best angry rock - sometimes it just MUST be blared from your car speakers with the windows rolled down, singing at the top of your lungs to make your life better. Nothing improves a bad day at work or a stinky commute more so than the above. HUGE HUGS babe!

Leah said...

He told our class that, too! I love Prof. Cross... he freakin' cracked me up!

Lauren Parker Lasater said...

I just love you! Thank you for a ridiculously fun night of dancing and singing! I love you!

Unknown said...

Hey girl, you are always finding new and exciting things to introduce to us. It certainly broadens my horizons. Thanks

Mikey said...

Reminder: Regina Spektor's new cd is out on Tuesday, and it sounds awesome. I'm sure it will be the next cd you have playing on an endless repeat in your vanimal!