Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lounging around Tokyo

This past weekend (as has become habit) I met Lauren in Tokyo. Since she and I live so far away, she wanted to celebrate my birthday with me and we really had a nice time. She and I really only need a little coffee, a little food, and a cocktail or two; but when you're in Tokyo, you end up getting so much more!

First we met up in Roppongi Hills to watch Benjamin Button. I had heard wonderful things about this movie, and I must say that I found it to be very well done. I now would very much like to read the book and get some more background information about Benjamin and what goes on in his head. I am not going to spoil the movie, but I suggest you see it; the three hour run time is a breeze to get through.

After the movie, we walked around with no real purpose, but found ourselves in the Rigoletto Bar & Grill. We split a nice salad and each had some soup. I sincerely think Lauren and I could just sit and talk all day long! After a delicious lunch, we went to Coldstone! I got a coconut cream pie and because Lauren let it slip that it was my birthday weekend, the guy gave me white chocolate chips for free! Again we chilled outside and talked up a storm. She is one of those people that you instantly feel comfortable talking to about intimate things.

We took a quick subway ride to Ginza because Lauren made reservations at the Alice in Wonderland Cafe! It was a really cute little place with mirrors everywhere and the waitresses were all dressed in Alice's signature blue dress! We had some appetizers there and I had a Charlie Chaplin to drink. I am sticking with my gin drinks, but this time I went for Sloe gin instead of the normal pine tree stuff. Mom, I think you would love a Charlie Chaplin because it is sour and refreshing! After we got our fill of the Disney happiness (creepiness) we left and decided to go shopping. I have been looking for a lighter spring jacket, so we went across the street to H&M and I picked up a wicked cool jacket! It is a blood orange color and so vibrant, you'd think it sparkles. Okay, that is totally just my description, but I really love my new jacket!

Lauren always comes through with the posh bar or lounge, and next we found ourselves in Dazzle. It is a cute little bar that Lauren has been to a couple times and already seems to know everyone who works there! We each got a drink and sat there while she introduced some of her friends to me. I met Toshi, bartender extraordinaire, and Bruce; the Australian manager of the Japanese bar! After a while, sipping our cocktails, Toshi asks us if we want dessert. He describes this amazing flan type dessert with ice cream and fresh berries that we immediately want. Lauren, again, lets it slip that it is my birthday weekend and Toshi wishes me a happy birthday.

After we place our dessert order, another waiter at the bar comes over to say hello to Lauren. He asks me my name and where I am from. I tell him West Virginia, and he says, "I have never been, but I have heard!" I just laugh and appreciate his enthusiasm. He continues on into the kitchen. When he comes out, he passes by us again and says, "John Denver!" and then sings, "Almost heaven, West Virginia!" He was so proud of himself and I was incredibly surprised and flattered. Then he told me that song was the first English song he ever learned in Junior high school. It was a really nice moment to make me feel special and make me proud to be a West Virginian.

When Toshi brought out our dessert, there were three long and very thin candles stuck into a piece of kiwi and the words, "Happy Birthday" written beautifully in chocolate sauce! It was a nice surprise and then Lauren and Toshi sang to me. I had a really nice weekend with Lauren, as always, and It makes celebrating my birthday a total blast!

4 comments:

Mikey said...

Almost Heaven, indeed! Happy birthday! I'm glad you had an enjoyable weekend with Lauren!

Unknown said...

I think it is funny that in a country so far away, the song that brings a smile to almost every face is "Country Roads". It is a great way of having your new friends warmly identify your home. It is nice to be from West Virginia.

Anonymous said...

Happy,Happy Birthday,Baby, and many more!!!

Have a great day,
Love, G-Ma

Lauren Parker Lasater said...

I love reading your stories of our adventures and compairing them to mine before reading yours! It is fun! We have different insites to the same day - its totally cool! You rock! Thanks for all the mad love!!! hee hee!! xo